Residents and key stakeholders participated in feedback sessions with the City of Seaside and consultant Studio Gang to listen and learn from individual residents, representatives from environmental groups, local schools and the business community who shared important ideas and insights about the City of Seaside and the potential impact of a new Civic Campus that places together a new City Hall, County Justice Center, and community facilities.
Several themes emerged from those discussions that highlight important considerations for the Study, including, but not limited to:
- Need for careful attention to environmental impact
- Interest in enhancing awareness, appreciation, and interaction with local natural resources and wildlife habitat in a sustainable way
- Interest in telling Seaside’s story from an inclusive range of perspectives
- Desire to celebrate Seaside’s rich, multicultural identity
- Importance of Fort Ord as a recreational resource
- Support for increased transparency and easier access to government services
- Importance of adequate mobility and transit to enhance access to a civic campus
- Preservation of ocean views and ensuring public access to those views
As a result, the following four goals were the guiding principles for the design studies; Nature & Local Ecology, Civic Identity, View sheds and Access and Opportunity.