City Attorney

City Attorney - repositioned
Image of City Attorney Sheri Damon

Sheri L. Damon, City Attorney

Sheri Damon has over 25 years experience in public law and land use litigation, having represented both private and public entities and as a sole proprietor—establishing her own law office focusing on land use, litigation, and contracts work. Damon has served in the role of City Attorney since January 2020.

The City Attorney’s Office Mission Statement

The mission of the City Attorney’s Office is to provide excellent and ethical legal advice, zealous legal representation, and other quality services for the City Council, City officers, and City employees in order that they may lawfully attain the City Council’s goals and other department program outcomes without undue risk to the City.

The City Attorney's Role

Under direction of the City Council, provides routine legal services for the City of Seaside; analyzes issues and advises the Council of the legal aspects of their policy decisions and action matters; performs other work as required.

The City Attorney does not however, provide legal advice to members of the public.

The City Attorney's Duties

Advice, consult, law, legal icon

Renders legal services and advise to the City Council and boards and commissions such as the Planning Commission, Redevelopment Agency, Sanitation District and other city staff as necessary.


Do Lenders and Borrowers Intend a Novation of Prior Agreements? A ...

Drafts and reviews all city ordinances, resolutions, contracts and legal agreements including land sale and development agreements.


Auction, court, gavel, hammer, justice, law, tool icon

Prosecutes all municipal code violations including Health and Building Code violations.


Types of Help | - Providing Free and Reliable ...

Represents the city in all non-monetary lawsuits such as writs of mandate, "pitchess" motions, suits for declaratory relief and injunctions.


Icon Meeting #357509 - Free Icons Library

Attends all City Council meetings.

Frequently Asked Questions

How do I file a claim against the City?
If you believe that the City of Seaside or its employee(s) caused damage to your person, personal property or real property, you may complete and file a Claim for Damages with the Clerk's Office during normal business hours. Please follow the instructions on the claim form and attach any documentation that you feel may support your claim (e.g. photographs, reports, witness statements or estimates).

What is the difference between the City Attorney and the District Attorney?In addition to providing legal services to the City government, the City Attorney’s office prosecutes city code violations occurring within the Seaside city limits. The District Attorney’s office prosecutes all misdemeanor and felony matters arising under state law occurring within Monterey County.

Can you recommend a lawyer?  I cannot afford an attorney.  Will you represent me in my lawsuit?
The City Attorney's Office cannot recommend a lawyer or give a citizen legal advice.   For referrals, you can contact the Lawyer Referral Service sponsored by the State Bar of California at 1-866-442-2529 or 866-44-CA-LAW (toll free in California).

How do I serve the City of Seaside with a lawsuit?The City Clerk is the agent for service of process for the City. Please contact the City Clerk’s office, 440 Harcourt Avenue, Seaside; (831) 899-6707;

How do I see the Seaside Municipal Code?The Municipal Code is available at the City Clerk’s Office. The City of Seaside Municipal Code consists of the regulatory and administrative ordinances of the City of Seaside, California, codified pursuant to the provisions of Sections 50022.1-50022.8 and 50022.10 of the State of California Government Code.

How do I file a small claim court action?You can contact the Superior Court of California for the County of Monterey at (831) 647-5800. They're located at 1200 Aguajito Road, Monterey, CA 93940.

How do I submit a public records request?

Please download a Public Records Request Form (PDF). You may submit a request:

Through the Online Form.

In person at the City Clerk’s counter located in City Hall

U.S. Mail to Seaside City Clerk’s Office at:

440 Harcourt Avenue

Seaside, CA 93955

Fax transmission: 831-718-8594

Contact Us

440 Harcourt Avenue

Seaside, CA 93955

(831) 899-6891