Recreation & Parks Commission
- 5:30 p.m.
- Last Wednesday of the month
- Oldemeyer Center
986 Hilby Avenue
Seaside, CA 93955
The Recreation and Parks Commission consists of five members appointed to a three-year term of office.
About the Commission
The duties of the Commission are to:
- Act in an advisory capacity to the City Council, Director of Community Services and the Boards of Trustees of the School Districts in all matters pertaining to parks and public recreation
- Cooperate with other governmental agencies and civic groups in the advancement of sound park and recreation planning and programming
- Recommend policies on recreational services and facilities to the Director of Community Services and the City Council
- Consult with the Director of Community Services on matters relating to the administration and development of recreation areas, facilities, programs and improved recreation services
- Make periodic inventories of recreation services that exist or may be needed and interpret the needs of the public to the City Council, the School Boards of Trustees and to the Director of Community Services.
The Commission also:
- Aids in coordinating recreation services with the programs of other public agencies and voluntary organizations
- Advise the Director of Community Services in the preparation of the annual budget and a long-range recreation capital improvement program
- Advise the City Council on matters regarding trees, urban forestation endeavors and related resources
- Develop, keep current, and aid in the facilitation of a plan for the development, conservation and care of urban forest resources
- Develop and review annually, a long-range plan for urban forestation
- Review, in cooperation with the City forester, annual plans for urban forestry programs
- Coordinate or conduct planned projects for the advancement of the urban forest
- In collaboration with the City forester, inform residents regarding tree planning, tree care, and forestry programs
If you are interested in being considered for service on a City Board or Commission, please download an application (PDF).
For more information regarding the Recreation and Parks Commission: Please contact the Staff Liaison Nancy Towne at 831-899-6801.